Two Months before Moving:
• Dispose of things that are not worth moving. If you do this now you will save yourself the time and expense of packing unnecessary items.
• Order your packing supplies. Even if you are having your moving company pack for you, there may be items that you will want to pack yourself.
• Make any necessary travel arrangements, such as car rental or booking a hotel room.
• Obtain medical and dental records.
One Month before Moving:
• File a change of address form with your local post office.
• Notify utility companies, newspaper supplier, and the cable company.
• Make appropriate arrangements for your pets.
• If you are not driving, make arrangements for car shipping services.
• Contact your insurance company regarding coverage during your move.
• Transfer bank accounts.
Two Weeks before Moving:
• Prepare your computers and stereo equipment to be packed. Backup, disconnect, and label components.
• Be sure to empty fuel and other hazardous chemicals from lawnmowers or similar equipment.
• Prepare and organize all personal records and valuables. Keep them in a file and take it with you. We do not recommend packing licenses, passports, credit cards, jewelry, or other valuables.
• Make sure your new location is available for the date agreed upon. If not, storage arrangements may have to be made.
One Week before Moving
• If you are packing yourself and confused what to pack? Then here is a list of things to pack in order to organise your move. But ensure all your moving boxes are labeled. This will save you time when you arrive at your new location.
• Pack personal items you will need while in transit.
• Reconfirm arrangements with moving company. Make sure they have your new address and ideally, a cell phone number where you may be reached.
• If you have children, remember to take a bag with favorite toys, games, stuffed animals, or books. Familiar items can ease a transition into a new location. You may also want to arrange for babysitting help on the day of the move so you can attend to last minute details.
• You, or an appointed representative, should be present when the movers arrive.
• Complete a walkthrough with foreman. Review all paperwork. When you sign the inventory sheet, you are acknowledging that all items are accounted for. Note any existing furniture damage.
• Make sure the foreman has clear directions to your new location plus your phone number. Make sure that you have the moving company information with you.
• Take money, credit cards, cell phone, and keys with you when you leave. Make sure you have funds to cover the cost of the move. You or your representative should be available to meet the movers at the new location and to sign off on delivery.
Are you facing the challenge of creating a new living space with limited room for furniture, accessories, clothes and collectibles? Is the new home you are moving into significantly smaller than the home you are moving from? Well, this is not necessarily a negative thing. Downsizing gives you the perfect chance to get rid of clutter and streamline your home and lifestyle. With that said, here are six tips for organizing and/or downsizing your life to live comfortably in a cozier space.
· Plan ahead: Make sure that the entire family is on board with the changes that will be involved in moving to smaller home. You move will be easier and much more organized if you do.
· Calculate the total space of your new home: You will need to know how much space there is in your new home before you can get an idea of what you will be able to bring with you from your old home. When you do begin making your calculations, don’t forget areas of your new home such as the attic, basement, etc.
· Measure your old furniture: Obviously, you will need to know if your old furniture will fit into your new home. Once you have your furniture’s measurements don’t forget to make a floor plan. There are software programs available that can help you do this with a high degree of accuracy.
· Minimize duplicate items: Go through your belongings and carefully sort of any duplicate items. The kitchen in particular is a place where duplicate items can often be found. If you don’t need multiple toasters and other kitchenware, consider selling or giving those things away.
· Sell your stuff: If you’re in need of some pre-move money – and who isn’t? – then holding a moving or garage sale is the perfect way to raise funds and decrease the number of things you will have to move into your new home.
· Place items into storage: Have items that won’t fit into your new home but do not wish to either sell, donate or throw away? Place these items into storage until you decide what you will do with them. This will help you to reduce the clutter in your smaller home.
The good news is that once you have done all these things you will no longer have to worry about maintaining a home that is too big for your needs. Downsizing to a smaller home means saving a lot of things – time, money, space. Our moving company in Houston, Texas can help you with your move and with items you may wish to store. We are a reliable local moving company in Houston, Texas that you can depend on whether you are planning a residential or commercial move.
Betton Moving is here to help make your move AMAZING!
✔ Residential or commercial moving.
✔ Local & intrastate experts.
✔ Short term or long term storage.
✔ Fully licensed and insured.
✔ Amazing reviews online
✔ Over 30 years of experience.
We are very proud to have served thousands of clients in their time of need.
✔ Free in-home estimate.
✔ Professional uniformed staff.
✔ Disconnect or connect appliances.
✔ Full service packing & unpacking.
✔ Crating of antiques & fine art.
✔ Disassembling & reassembling.
✔ Moving blankets for furniture.
✔ Loading & unloading.
✔ Mileage & taxes.
✔ Basic value protection.
✔ Clean trucks.
✔ Friendly movers.
✔ Quality service.
What Service Are You Looking For?
Are you moving to Austin, Dallas, San Antonio or any place over 90 miles. Read more
Get Your Quote:
Fully insured and registered to give you that piece of mind.
US DOT #544093 - MC #223234 - TX DOT #006340251C